Home | About Us | Contact Us | FAQ | Français

You are here : Home  Arrow Family Class Sponsorship Arrow  Common Law Sponsorship


Express Entry »

Quebec Investor Program »

Federal Skilled Workers »

Canadian Experience Class »

Humanitarian & Compassionate
Grounds »

Permanent Resident Cards »

Canadian Citizenship »

Live-In Caregiver Program »

PHD Students Program »

Foreign Students Program »

Foreign Workers Program »



Refugee Hearings »

Admissibility Hearings »

Detention Review Hearings »

Residency Appeals »

Sponsorship Appeals »

Individuals without legal status »



Spousal Sponsorship »

Common Law Sponsorship »

Parent and Grandparent Super Visa »

Other Relatives Sponsorship »



Quebec Skilled Worker »

Quebec Experience Class »

Quebec Certificate of Selection (CSQ) »

Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) »



Quebec Investor Program »

Entrepreneurs »

Self-employed »



Work visas »

Student visas »

Visitor visas »

Visa Extensions »

Common Law Sponsorship

Common Law Sponsorship

How do I sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent child living outside of Canada?

Sponsor Eligibility

You may be eligible to sponsor a spouse or a common-law or conjugal partner or dependent children living outside of Canada if:

As of March 2, 2012, if you entered Canada as a sponsored spouse or partner you are not eligible to sponsor a new spouse or partner for a period of 5 years. This 5 year period starts from the day that you are granted permanent residence in Canada. This change applies to permanent residents and Canadian citizens.

You may need to provide financial support for the family members you are sponsoring depending on their age and relationship to you. If you are sponsoring other family members, you will have to prove you have an income that is at least equal to the minimum necessary income.

What is a Common-Law and Conjugal Partner?

Common-Law Partner

You can sponsor a person as your common-law partner if:

Conjugal Partner

According to the application, the conjugal category is intended for partners of Canadian sponsors who would ordinarily apply as:

Dependent Child

For sponsorship purposes, a dependent child may be your own child or those of the person you are sponsoring. They must:

Sponsorship Process

You must pay a processing fee when you submit your application. This fee is non-refundable. If this process is successful, an immigrant visa will be approved. You must pay a Right of Permanent Residence Fee for every person 19 years old or older for the visa to be issued. The sponsored person must come to Canada before the visa expires.


Bookmark and Share



Canadian Immigration Council on Twitter Canadian Immigration Council on Facebook


Winner Consumer Choix Award 2012

See acknowledgements from the Canadian Prime Minister, Premier of Quebec & the Mayor of Montreal.



What to do when you arrive in Canada



Do you qualify to immigrate to canada