Home | About Us | Contact Us | FAQ | Français

You are here : Home  Arrow Hearings & Appeals Arrow  Residency Appeals


Express Entry »

Quebec Investor Program »

Federal Skilled Workers »

Canadian Experience Class »

Humanitarian & Compassionate
Grounds »

Permanent Resident Cards »

Canadian Citizenship »

Live-In Caregiver Program »

PHD Students Program »

Foreign Students Program »

Foreign Workers Program »



Refugee Hearings »

Admissibility Hearings »

Detention Review Hearings »

Residency Appeals »

Sponsorship Appeals »

Individuals without legal status »



Spousal Sponsorship »

Common Law Sponsorship »

Parent and Grandparent Super Visa »

Other Relatives Sponsorship »



Quebec Skilled Worker »

Quebec Experience Class »

Quebec Certificate of Selection (CSQ) »

Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) »



Quebec Investor Program »

Entrepreneurs »

Self-employed »



Work visas »

Student visas »

Visitor visas »

Visa Extensions »

Residency Appeals

Residency Appeals

If a permanent resident applies to have their permanent resident card extended and this application is refused on the basis they have not met the residency requirement, or for any other reason, they may appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board within 60 days. The Appeal Division will hold a hearing to decide if the decision to take away the appellant's permanent residence should be allowed to stand, or if it should be overturned. The Appeal Division may consider both the legal basis for the appeal and the Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds related to the appeal. The appeal will be held in Canada and the appellant can provide new evidence in support of their case and can testify before a judge. Where the appellant is outside Canada such testimony may be done by teleconference. If the Immigration Appeal Division decides to grant the appeal then the appellant will be permitted to retain their permanent residence and can obtain a new P. R. card. If the Immigration Appeal Division denies the appeal a further appeal to the Federal Court may be made.

Travel documents to Canada can be obtained by those appealing the revocation of their permanent resident status where they have been in Canada at least once within the last year, or where the Immigration Appeal Division determines that their presence in Canada is necessary for their appeal.




Free immigration assessment


Bookmark and Share



Canadian Immigration Council on Twitter Canadian Immigration Council on Facebook


Winner Consumer Choix Award 2012

See acknowledgements from the Canadian Prime Minister, Premier of Quebec & the Mayor of Montreal.



What to do when you arrive in Canada



Do you qualify to immigrate to canada